Climate Action for Sustainable Development (CASD) is an independent, not-for-profit organization registered by the NGO Council of Kenya and designed to help communities adapt and mitigate the effects of climate change.
CASD is devoted to field-based research, analysis, and serious thinking to generate credible knowledge to inform the world and specifically communities in Africa on ways of mitigating the effects of climate change. Also, CASD is devoted to advocacy for and implementation of climate-friendly policies and programs.
The founding of CASD was prompted by mounting scientific evidence that has indicated that human activities and global economic growth are driving higher carbon dioxide emissions, which in turn have led to rapidly changing weather patterns. The changing weather patterns have had adverse effects on many populations, especially in places like Africa where agriculture is the main means of livelihood.
CASD was, in part, started in response to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s call to the world for “global solidarity on climate change” at the UN Climate Change Conference in Poznan, Poland in December 2008. The founders of CASD heeded the call and expressed their desire and determination to play their role in making the world a better place by helping mitigate the vagaries of climate change.
MISSION: Collaborate with local and international partners to help communities adapt and respond to Climate Change.
VISION: Bestow humanity with a pristine-like world free from the vagaries of Climate Change
- Integrity: We believe in truth, honesty, and responsibility in our work, our relationships, and our communication.
- Service: We believe in doing our best to serve communities, especially those bearing the brunt of the bad effects of Climate Change.
- Excellence: We believe in high standards of professionalism and practice in performing all our duties and carrying out our mandate.
- Partnership: We believe in working closely with other like-minded organizations and individuals in bettering the lives of communities bearing the brunt of Climate Change.
- Invention: We value and strive for enhanced techniques that can help communities mitigate the effects of Climate Change.
CADS’s main objective is to help communities adapt to the effects of Climate Change.
- To design and distribute communication materials for disseminating information on Climate Change eg. Videos, DVD, magazines, newsletters, websites, banners, posters, pamphlets, etc
- To establish Climate Change centers and community libraries as the Board may deem desirable for the promotion of objectives of the organization;
- To support community-based income-generating activities with the objective of strengthening their capacities to address local climate challenges in a sustainable manner;
- To train farmers in environmental-friendly farming techniques and assist them to acquire managerial skills;
- To collaborate with local and international organizations and individuals with similar objectives;
- To employ experts and other staff for all or any of the objects of the Organization;
- To acquire any moveable or immovable property and any buildings or things whatsoever and sell, dispose of Mortgage, lease or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property or rights of the Organization;
- To enter into any arrangement with any governments, authorities or organization that may seem conducive to the Organization’s objects or any of them, and to obtain from such arrangements any rights, privileges, and concessions which the Organization may think desirable to obtain;
- To take such steps by personal or written appeals, public meetings or otherwise as may from time to time be deemed expedient for the purpose of procuring contributions to the funds of the Organization in the form of donations, annual subscription or otherwise;
- To apply to any governments or authority, public bodies, corporations, companies or persons for and to accept grants or gifts of money and of any moveable or immovable property, donations, gifts subscriptions and other assistance with a view to promoting the objects of the Organization and, in taking of any gift or property to take the same subject to any special trust which may be prescribed by the donor thereof;
- To establish an endowment fund to receive grants, donations, gifts and other assistance in any form whatsoever from Kenya or from any other source for any one or more of the objects of the organization and to establish a foundation in any country or countries for the purpose of receiving donations from private and corporate persons and for channeling the same to the organization’s development operations;
- To promote or assist in the promotion of any organization or company or other body having objects similar to those of the Organization;
- To draw, executive or otherwise deal with negotiable or transferable instruments;
- To do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of any of the above objects;
- To invest the money in the organization not immediately required in any one or more of the modes of investment of trust money or in such other manner as the Board of the Organization may from time to time determine to provide that the outcome of such investments shall be generated back to the organization to achieve its objectives
- To raise, mobilize and disburse funds and other resources for the promotion of communities with similar objectives
Peter Maina Muriuki, Director and Chief Executive Officer- has an MSc. Environmental Science and BSc. Natural Resources Management, 2000, Egerton University. He has worked as a Lead Expert/Managing Consultant leading a team of experts in carrying out EIAs for clients in communication, chemical, petroleum outlets, housing projects, construction, pharmaceutical, warehouses, fish processing, soap and vegetable oil, food processing, beauty products manufacturing, hospitality, engineering, steel processing, plastics processing and flowers growing farms. In total 7 years carrying out Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs), Environmental Audits, training in Occupational Health u0026amp; Safety and auditing as follows: 2 years as an Associate Expert with Kenface Enviroconsults (EA) Ltd and 5 years as a Lead Expert with Kenface Enconsults (A) Ltd working in both Kenya and Tanzania
Ernest Muchiri Waititu –Director of Media Relations and Partnerships Development- An experienced media consultant who has written widely on climate change. He founded Afrikanews.org in 2005, was born in Central Kenya and studied English and literature at Kenyatta University in Nairobi. Ernest graduated in 2001 and earned a master’s degree in journalism from the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University. He has a master’s in International Affairs from Ohio University. Formerly, he interned with the International Desk of CNN in Atlanta and has written for the two main daily newspapers in Nairobi, The Standard and Daily Nation, as well as for The Athens NEWS in Athens, Ohio. Mr. Waititu has also contributed widely to water and climate change issues to publications such as The EastAfrican in Nairobi, BBC Focus on Africa Magazine, The Independent in New York and The Washington Times.
Dr. Rowena Maguire – Lecturer, Faculty of Law, Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Dr. Maguire has been the course coordinator of two AusAID Australian Leadership Awards Programs that have focused on building capacity within communities and government organizations to climate policies and measures. She has also worked with youth climate change initiatives in Australia as a policy officer with ‘Project Survival Pacific’ and a guest speaker at the Australian Youth Climate Coalition conferences. Her research spans the area of international and environmental law with publications on international forest regulation, international climate regulation, REDD+, climate justice, and climate litigation. Dr. Maguire is currently on sabbatical leave from QUT and is a Visiting Professor at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Kenya.
Wilson Muthuri Murungi, Director of Finance, and Administration –has a BSc. (Hons) Natural Resources Management – Egerton University and a total of 12 years in Environmental Conservation with Kenface Enconsults (Africa) Ltd as a Lead Expert/Consultant in Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) u0026amp; Environmental Audits and Occupational Health and Safety Advisor. He worked 2 years with Maiteih Enterprises Ltd as Property Manager, 2 years with Enconsult (Pty) Ltd, Botswana as an EIA consultant and 1 year with Conserve International as a Project Coordinator.
Peter Mwangi Mwaura, Director, Programs –Bsc Computer Engineering graduated 2001, Manhattan College, New York USA and Post-graduate Diploma in Project Management, 2006, Kenya Institute of Management. He has worked as Project Manager and Business Development Executive for several technology companies in Kenya and New York City. He has a great passion in working with local communities.
Joseph Macharia – Agriculture Extension Specialist, Farmer Voice Radio, Nairobi, Kenya. Joseph has extensive experience in providing agriculture training and outreach services to communities across Kenya. Mobile phone and radio … Is a board member… youth greenhouse project in Nyeri, honey and bee work